In the Jena21 industrial area in Jena-Göschwitz, where renowned companies from Jena have settled, only a few buildings still bear witness to the former function of the site. In 1885, the engineer and manufacturer Godhard Prüssing founded the former cement and concrete factory there. After the closure of the factory in 1967, only the former administration building, the "Prüssing mansion", a former laboratory building, the gatekeeper's lodge and the former factory canteen remained.
In 2015, SOMAG AG Jena converted the laboratory building from the Wilhelminian era into the new company headquarters with a great attention to detail. Recently the renovation of the former canteen has started. The work will be completed next summer and the premises will be available for their new purpose. "In order to meet the growing customer demand for our devices, we need to expand the existing space. In addition to new office space, additional production and storage space will be created in the outbuilding. In addition, we are setting up an own room for the high-precision measuring machines for quality control in order to further increase the quality of our products," says CEO Andreas Steps.
The restoration of the historic façade is also planned, for which extensive work is necessary. In terms of climate protection, the building will be in no way inferior to a new building. The energy-efficient refurbishment with triple-glazed windows, the installation of a heat pump and wood fibre interior insulation can reduce heating energy consumption and emissions.
After the renovation work has been completed, the former gatehouse will be restored too.
Regional Press Report in German OTZ
Regional Press Report in German JenaTV